You may receive the following error message from AWS when trying to sell your reserved instance:
- There was an error retrieving the selected reserved instances details
- Failed to exchange reservation due to: Can’t exchange from non-convertible classic offering
- You’re not a registered AWS instance seller, register here.
- You’re trying to sell a Standard EC2 Reserved Instance with No Available Zone Scope
- Per Amazon’s Requirements: Standard EC2 Reserved Instances can only be listed in the Reserved Instance Marketplace, if they are purchased with an Availability Zone scope. Since capacity is not reserved with regional RIs, they cannot be sold on the Marketplace at this time.
If you’re a registered seller and you are still receiving this error, you may be stuck with this particular reserved instance.
Some notes about selling reserved instances:
- Reserved instances can be sold after they have been active for at least 30 days and once AWS has received the upfront payment (if applicable).
- There must be at least one month remaining in the term of the Reserved Instance you are listing.
- You must have a US bank account to sell Reserved Instances on the Reserved Instance Marketplace. Support for non-US bank accounts will be coming soon.
- You will retain the pricing and capacity benefit of your reservation until it’s sold and the transaction is complete.
- Your company name (and address upon request) will be shared with the buyer for tax purposes.
- A seller can set only the upfront price for a Reserved instance. The usage price and other configuration (e.g., instance type, Availability Zone, platform) will remain the same as when the Reserved instance was initially purchased.
- The term length for a Reserved instance will be rounded down to the nearest month. For example, a reservation with 9 months and 15 days remaining will appear as 9 months on the Reserved Instance Marketplace.
- You can sell up to $50,000 in Reserved instances per year. If you need to sell more Reserved instances, complete the form found here.
- Reserved instances in the GovCloud region cannot be sold on the Reserved Instance Marketplace.
- Reserved instances purchased as part of a tiering discount cannot be sold in the Reserved Instance Marketplace.